it was suggested that i host this here at the dome. i think that’s a good idea. i’ve changed it up a bit to get a more real look.cardboard effect using gimp 2.4.1.
1. open a new canvas and fill with a cardboard-like color. i’m using R: 184, G: 164, B: 103.
2. duplicate the layer and run newsprint: filter>distorts>newsprint
. the settings are: cell size: 12, BGB: all zero, oversample: 13.
3. run emboss: filter>distorts>emboss
. the settings are: azimuth: 82, elevation: 40, depth: 11.
4. run wind: filter>distorts>wind
. these are the settings: style: wind, direction: right or left, edge affected: both, threshold: 10, strength: 10
5. set the layer mode to multiply. here is what the steps look like:
6. add a new layer and fill with the cardboard color. then run HSV noise: filters>noise>HSV noise
. use these settings: holdness: 1, hue: 66, saturation: 95, value: 93.
7. run gaussian blur: filter>blur>gaussian blur
. set both horizontal and vertical to 3. set the layer mode to overlay. here’s what these steps look like:
8. add a new layer and fill with the cardboard color.
9. add another layer and run a plasma cloud: filter>render>cloud>plasma
10. desaturate the cloud layer: color>desaturate
and set the mode to overlay. then merge down the layer.
11. do a bump map: filters>map>bump map
. be sure to map against the corrugated layer (background copy). use these settings: azimuth: 330, elevation: 80, depth: 1. the key is to get an effect that is barely noticeable. the steps look like this:
12. reset the foreground and background to black and white.
13. add a layer mask to the top layer: right click on that layer then click add layer mask.
14. use some nice grunge brushes to remove areas from the layer. you will see the corrugated layer show through. I used “angry blue” brushes found at www.angryblue.com
and elsewhere. be sure to use different brushes from the set and remember that the size of the brushes can be changed in gimp 2.4.
15. when you get the look you want, apply the mask: right click on the layer then click apply layer mask.
16. apply a drop shadow to enhance the effect (optional). here is what these steps look like.
have fun kids....